Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium
FOBIA Meeting Agenda
February 12, 2005 12:30PM - 2:00PM
Coffee Beanery (Woodward & 9 Mile) Ferndale
22871 Woodward Ave, Ferndale, MI 48220
Mission Statement- Our mission is to preserve and promote the Belle
Isle Aquarium and help to maintain its operations now and for future
generations to enjoy.
President Kate Alan addresses the meeting
- General discussion.
Method: Migrating chairperson
- the person who has the floor is chairperson. Chairperson selects the
next individual who wishes to speak to have the floor, but MUST give
preference to someone who has not had a chance to speak. That person is
2. Community Education - We need to be a multi-cultural entity.
How will we let everyone in the city and suburbs know we are fighting to
keep the Aquarium open - and getting them to join us?
3. Local Non-Profits Connections Who do we contact, and what can we do
together? Can we utilize their each other's resources? Non profit status
- since none exists at the moment for FOBIA, should we temporarily
find an umbrella organization?
4. State Government Connections Can we get the Aquarium a historical
designation. Can the State of Michigan or Governors Office interpose?
5. Press/Media Contacts We must engage the press! Do we know someone
in the press/media? Will someone with experience be the liaison, write
press releases/articles, motivate the press?
6. Local Government/Zoological Society Connections We need an inside
contact at these points to know when the Aquarium is on the
7. Aquarium/Professionals Contacts Who has expertise in this area to
support our campaign on a practical level and is not compromised by
their City or Zoo employ?
8. What have we forgotten? What 'Spheres
of influence' need to be added?
9. Next Event We need to keep the momentum. What type of live
event can we plan for? A protest? Fish-In? Another
- 2:00pm -
Wrap-up. Informal discussion may
continue after meeting.